Monday, November 7, 2011

Make your bedroom your sanctuary

We moved, along with the rest of Montreal, on July 1.  We love almost everything about the new place, but the bedroom colour really started to get to me.

Bedroom July 1
As the days started to get shorter and shorter, the dark green became more intense. The colour, aptly named "bovine fecal green" or "the armpit of despair" (yes, those are exact quotes), started to take on a life of its own. It haunted me in my dreams. [Click to read more]



Photos taken November 4 in daytime. (Note I couldn't bring myself to hang photos because I couldn't accept the colour, but also for fear the green would actually hurt me in my sleep).
I convinced my partner that it was only going to get worse, so we devoted our entire weekend to the exorcism home improvement. We wanted something calm and neutral. Welcome Project Pewter Tray (see our new paint colour here).

The colour came out a bit more blue than we were hoping, but the change is palpable.



What a difference! (Note we did use a level for the 2 frames, but my camera skillz are lacking)
It's amazing what a little paint will do. We purchased 2 gallons of paint and some supplies (painters tape, brushes and rollers), which came to under $100. We needed to apply 3 coats because the green kept seeping through. I have a slight fear that I'll wake up and the green will take its revenge, but for now the sanctuary is doing the trick.

We did splurge on new curtains. The original ones were terrible (people could literally see through them). We opted for some insulated curtains to help keep out the cold (save money in the long run) and block out the light.

Take some steps to make your bedroom your sanctuary. You work hard and you deserve a place to get some real rest. Treat yo self.

1 comment:

  1. Love the makeover, Meg! You have such great taste!

    ReplyDelete