Friday, February 24, 2012

A year later


Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. I tend to bully myself without even realizing it. Maybe this strategy helped to motivate myself in the past, but trust me it's not a great game plan for life.

Everything came to a head last year when I was studying for my comprehensive exams. In the midst of my suffering, Ryan took me for a birthday celebration at Robin des Bois, a restaurant where the proceeds go to various community organizations.

Instead of a birthday cake at the end of the meal, I was given a plate and told to write on it all of the things that I struggled with in the past year. Then, I was taken into a separate room with a bulls-eye on the wall and instructed to smash the plate in order to move past "the bad" and bring in "the good" for the upcoming year (see picture above).

It was a really important and cathartic experience for me. As I look back on it now, I realize that I have taken quite a few steps in order to break old habits. As a result, I do feel a lot happier this year (and not just because I don't have exams looming).

I promise I won't tell you to stop and smell the roses, but I really think that we should all take a minute each day to pat ourselves on the back (or smash a plate).

Edit: Ryan just reminded me that I have a history of smashing things. See photo below where I'm throwing a pumpkin because of a boy on Halloween in 2003. Classic.




No comments:

Post a Comment