Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Joe Beef for Valentine's Day




Ryan and I were both feeling sick and didn't have time to do anything for Valentine's Day last week. We wanted to mark the occasion, so we decided to stuff our faces this week at Joe Beef - a restaurant that's drawing international attention for its fine cuisine and non-fussy atmosphere. Apart from returning home like bloated whales, our evening did not disappoint!

I don't want to turn this blog into a restaurant review site, but I thought that our evening last night was the epitome of "treat yo self." It was a real splurge and for a few short hours we felt like kings (or ballers, VIPs, what-have-you).

The only reservation available was at 9:30pm. We aren't used to eating this late and it made us feel like we were chic hot shots on a night out. The menu changes every night and is listed on a chalk board (see below), which was directly behind us for easy reference. We took our time deciding what to order, so we were one of the last tables still rockin' it at midnight. 

We shared an appetizer of crevettes à l'ail (garlic shrimp). We dipped our bread in the remaining butter while grinning at each other.

For the main course, I had the "madame" size of the Steak Joe Beef, which came with delicious cooked spinach and house sauce. I loved it; it wasn't just that it was cooked to perfection, it was the details - the seasoning, the almost charred outside, the beautifully pink interior, the garnish - what a beautiful package.

Ryan had the Spaghetti Homard (Lobster Spaghetti) and I wish I had taken a photo of the exact moment his eyes popped out of his head, just like a cartoon I swear. The creamy sauce perfectly complimented the massive juicy pieces of lobster.

We are already talking about the next special occasion when we can go back. In the summer, the menu boasts products from the garden on site. I really want to try the oyster bar and the desserts. I really wish my stomach could have expanded enough to fit a dessert. Next time...







1 comment: