Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Comfort food



We love using our slow cooker. We usually dump a bunch of ingredients into the pot in the morning, leave it on low, and then return after work to the delicious smells of home cooking.

The other day I forgot to do this, so at about 5PM I came home to the smell of, well, nothing. Luckily I found this recipe (Fine Cooking 63) and with a few minor adjustments and simplifications we were on our way to a quick, slow-cooked meal.

[Read more]

Most of the ingredients we always have on hand (yes, even onions now), so this recipe was a breeze. I quickly defrosted the beef in the microwave. We have a fantastic pot that can be used in the microwave, on the stovetop and in the oven. It was really easy to sear the beef and then retain all the juices in the same pot when recombining all the ingredients to bake in the oven.

In a fraction of the time, our apartment smelled as if we had been slow cookin' all day. Treat yourself to that!

Obviously, don't eat the bay leaf.

My posts will be sporadic over the next week or so, but I hope you will continue to treat yourself (and those around you) and have a great holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment