Monday, December 19, 2011

The art of sandwich making (or, how to make a sandwich that Meg will eat).


I wish I could describe something truly traumatic that caused me to have a phobia of sandwiches as a child. The reality of it is that I was probably spoiled with hot lunches, so a "normal" lunch at a friend's house was downright disgusting in comparison. One particular lunch I can remember vividlywhite bread and cheese wizleft me doomed to hate (and fear) sandwiches.

Over the years I have developed coping mechanisms when faced with a dreaded sandwich (read: temporary starvation), but I've also realized that with the right ingredients sandwiches are delicious! [Click for more]

First of all, good quality (real) bread is key. Bread that is basically nonperishable should not be consumed!

Mayonnaise, mustard, or butter should be used sparingly and to taste. To see what I mean, read story below.

Use good quality ingredients. I really recommend going to the deli counter rather than buying generic packaged meats or cheese in a jar. One of the best sandwiches in recent memory contained leftover BBQ chicken. Yum!

Ryan made this beautiful beast for me the other day. A fresh croissant, rosemary ham, Havarti cheese, Dijon mustard, tomato slices, and some lettuce = the perfect sammy.


One of my childhood horror stories involved a visit to my Granny's house. She made roast beef sandwiches for the adults and peanut butter for me. When we sat at the table to eat, I noticed a horrifying thick layer of margarine on the top and bottom pieces of *gasp* white bread. Holding back my gag reflex, I asked if I could eat the sandwich in the garden. I threw the sandwich into the bushes and then waited what seemed like a reasonable amount of time and went back inside. Later my mom told me that I was outside for about 30 seconds and my apparent deception was completely obvious.

2 comments:

  1. So egg salad sandwiches are still out of the question?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think egg salad falls under the category #2 (condiments should be used sparingly and to taste). I've never seen anyone eat egg salad without getting it all over their face.

    ReplyDelete