Monday, January 23, 2012

Kid food for adults: macaroni and cheese



Today is your lucky day because I've decided to share one of my prized recipes. When I moved out of residence for my second year of university, I asked my mom for some of her recipes and her homemade macaroni and cheese was on the top of the list. Over the years I've adapted it a little bit, but its essence is retained; it's comforting, wholesome, and delicious. [Click to read more]

First, you need to make a roux with butter and flour. I use about 2 tablespoons of both. Stir and slowly add 2 cups of milk. Once bubbles form and the mixture thickens, slowly sprinkle 2 cups of shredded, old cheddar cheese while continuously stirring in the same direction.

You could use the cheese sauce at this point, but often I add a bit of beer and some spices to taste (e.g., curry powder, cumin, mustard powder, ginger, nutmeg, etc.).

Combine the cheese mixture with boiled Penne pasta and top with homemade croutons, grated cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, sea salt, and pepper. Bake in a oven-safe dish at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

I really love using traditional orange cheddar, but for some reason it's next to impossible to find in grocery stores here.

We often serve with broccoli and a dab of HP sauce (I'm giving away my English heritage a bit there).  When eating this now, I still remember my mom playfully adding a ketchup smiley face before serving. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!! I love the addition of beer and spices and will have to try that soon. It's also really good with Heinz 57 sauce (rather like a cross between HP and Ketchup)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this recipe! and beer is an interesting addition. that last shot of the croutons is making this carb-loving reader want to eat the screen :)

    ReplyDelete